.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eternal sunshine of the rambling mind

Monday, May 22, 2006

whew...what a roller-coaster

If there is one law which ranks up there with Newton's laws as one of the fundamental axioms, it must be Murphy's law for its sheer universal applicability.

I have been trying to expect and pre-empt the slump in the oversensitive index of Dalal street ever since the end of March and stayed in cash for what progressively appeared to me to be a long waiting game. But the punters had a different idea than a novice like me and the graph seemed to only rise higher and higher after each fall. Finally, I couldnt resist and let go of some of the cash. But since I have burnt my tongue earlier, I respectfully kept track with the venerable stop-losses. But well, this difference in time-zone is a troublesome thing and soon enough I found myself caught napping once in a while. And lo, I wake up the next morning to find Mr Murphy smiling his stupid smile at me.

But whew, this has been one hell of a roller coaster ride. The lower it falls, the faster it seems to recover, this is going to be one hell of a roller-coaster ride this summer. Hang on folks and have some fun.

While I am on this topic, here is something that a friend forwarded to me :

Once upon a time in a village a man appeared who announced to the villagers that he would buy monkeys for Rs. 10. The villagers seeing that
there were many monkeys went out in the forest and started catching them. The man bought thousands at 10 and as supply started to diminish and
villagers started to stop their effort he announced that now he would buy at 20 rupees.

This renewed the efforts of the villagers and they started catching moneys again. Soon the supply diminished even further and people started going
back to their farms. The offer rate increased to 25 and the supply of monkeys became so that it was an effort to even see a monkey let alone catch it.

The man now announced that he would buy monkeys at 50! However, since he had to go to the city on some business his assistant would now buy on behalf of the man.

In the absence of the man, the assistant told the villagers, "Look at all these monkeys in the big cage that the man has collected. I will sell them to you at 35 and when the man comes back you can sell it to him for 50."

The villagers queued up with all their saving to buy the monkeys.

Phir na woh aadmi mila na us ka assistant........... Sirf bandar hee bandar..

Well, isnt this how the stock market works ? But the only hope is I end up being
The Man more times than I happen to be one of the villagers. Amen to that.

3 Comments:

At 8:02 am, May 23, 2006, Blogger rākeśvara said...

hmmm..
was on rediff news today.
btw why is the market crashing?
wanted to ask you. Is it bcos it was
so blown up or is it bcos of the reservations thing?
I am missing this game :-)
I think this is a good time to pour some money into the market? dont you?

Nice story btw.

 
At 3:56 pm, May 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey raka, better dont get involved in this bloodbath.. ye bachho ke khelne ki cheez nahi hai.. :-)
Hey what a nice idea, of mixing reservations issue and market crashing, will make a good piece of news for desis like raka..

 
At 10:24 am, September 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha. so true!

sir, i'm impressed to see one so young and so...wise?

waiting for more posts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>