.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eternal sunshine of the rambling mind

Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Bane of bachelorhood

I hate this. I hate packing up and vacating a home. Well, for me it has always been a home that I stay in and not just a house. So I dislike having to pack up and pull together my life and move on to another place and restart again. Yet, that is what I find myself doing time and again, forced by vagaries of bachelorhood. I have been living a working bachelor's life for under three years now and have resided in as many houses during this period. I had to move out of the first house when I (and my other roommates) changed employment and loyalties. I was then guided by my desire to avoid Bangalore's brain-numbing traffic and took residence in a far less favourable house, the construction of which was most awkward - Roark would have found it repugnant. So my stay there was shortlived and I moved into a small "penthouse" in a wonderful locality, strategically located with respect to keeping my daily commmute to the minimum and yet affording me a good lifestyle with all the modern conveniences and restaurants (the bachelor's mainstay)at walking distance.

Yet it has hardly been a year that I am forced tonight to sit and pack up my life into cartons and bags. Why, you might wonder. Because my roommate is now lucky and gets to move in with his parents and setup a home independently. To make things worse, I have to leave for foreign shores for a considerably lengthy period of time. Consequently my inability to find a compatible roommate (is that an elusive species) at this point of time, leaves me with little choice but to break my resolve of not moving out of my penthouse for a long time to come.

So this night finds me sifting through and packing all my stuff, getting ready to vacate a home. There is nothing more depressing than to leave town for a period of time, with the feeling that you cannot really return to a home of your own. I am left with the unenviable task of finding a roommate too upon my return. One other roommate left me in the August of last year. This second one, though like a paying guest (never really spent much time at home), was a good friend and human company atleast. Tonight the TV must fill the void.

But the optimist in me (yeah, I have one)tells me that things always work out for the better. I get to see more places in bangalore, get an opportunity to live with and make another friend for life. Lets see what life holds for me...Malleshwaram, here I come.

3 Comments:

At 3:32 am, April 27, 2006, Blogger rākeśvara said...

So you are moving again..
Guess what? So am I...

I have this false hope motivating me, the hope that I might finally get to stay true westerns tyle with a female roommate. Also have the option of living in a yoga studio. Will have to seach for a room on return too..

What a coinicidence. Btw. I stopped counting the no fo houses I have lived in the last three yrs. It is close to 10 !

Hope you get a good roommate in Malleswaram.

 
At 10:32 pm, May 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hm, real estate can be tricky for other reasons in Bangalore. One of my friends did not get his token advance back.. Be careful whom you deal with...

-Vanchi

 
At 10:09 am, May 22, 2006, Blogger sp said...

oh poor guy ! considering the obscene sums involved in taking up a house in the city, the hole in the pocket must have been sizeable.

But didnt he have some kind of a receipt or contract? Maybe non-binding, but enough to raise a stink nevertheless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>