.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eternal sunshine of the rambling mind

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

War and peace

I was just watching the latest news on the Israel-Lebanon conflict on BBC world. It was a coverage of the efforts of British and German forces to evacuate its nationals from Lebanon. Most of these nationals were Lebanese holding British passports. In many cases, one of the spouses, say the wife had a British citizenship and hence could take her children with her. In other cases the children were separated from one of the parents, often the mother, and wailing. It was really pitiable. There was this grandmother taking the grandchildren with her on the boat and the parents are left behind. The children wailing and the gmother and parents are beseeching to let them on the boat. Several people clamour to get onto the boat, all in vain. There is plenty of space but they are allowed a small window of time and opportunity to take away only their nationals.

What could be worse than being forced to beg to flee one's own land and being foced to live the life of a refugee? Perhaps losing one's loved ones on the altar of senseless hatred and having the seeds of the same all-consuming hatred sown in one's own souls, is the worst thing to happen. They are fighting a losing war, a war in which battles may be won but never the war. Both the parties may have their own justifications for nurturing this hatred and all this war-mongering and destruction. But they should know very well, they are only scarring an entire generation who will nurture this grudge against the faceless enemy for its lifetime.

So who is to blame? The Zionists for standing upto attacks on their citizens from groups outside the political and military establishment of hostile neighbours? Or the Arabs who demand justice and land for their own people but are unable to reign in extremists and terror-mongers ? Or perhaps the Americans and the Western powers that be, who control a lot of pieces on this chessboard and are content to meddle for their own benefit and to meet their own needs, who sell the arms to not only the Israelis but also to the Hezbollah whom they publicly chastize. I sure wont be able to sleep easy with the guilt weighing in on my mind. I wonder how the Americans manage it, perhaps the naivette and ignorance of the average guy on their street saves him from the agony that would come with the realisation of the collective guilt that they shoulder. And I wonder how the militant follower of Allah - the ever merciful - hopes to attain heaven and immortality after having blown innocent children and people to smithereens, purportedly on His behalf. Even at the end of the great war of the Mahabharata with all its justifications, the righteous Pandavas didnt get to enjoy the fruits which they fought the war for.

I am reminded of an incident from my childhood. Once my brother broke one of my game-boards or something. In anger and retaliation, I in turn exacted revenge by destroying one of his possessions. This mutual cycle of vengeance took its toll and left in its wake a bunch of broken items and bruised egos. My parents then took us aside, chastized us and I immediately protested that I was of course justified in my actions and it was only fair. The wise folks that they were, they then pointed out that yes, I broke 5 nos of his stuff and he likewise destroyed 4 of mine. So I did win and made my point. But of course, did I really win? All though my brother did lose more than me, that did nothing to diminish my own loss !! Even with my juvenile brain, this logic struck a chord.

But well, did this wisdom stop any such future foolishness on my part? Of course, not. You see, I am inclined to believe that mankind by nature is 'programmed' to fight within itself. So although individually there might be enlightened souls, collectively it all 'averages' out and some ppl fight will others profit from their fighting. But all are stakeholders, in this great "Bhoo-lok" of Maya. And the great dramatist must be really amused at the unfolding drama.

3 Comments:

At 12:13 pm, September 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah it is sad to see all this still happening in this world.
and u are so right, the superpowers that be, meddling for their own benefit and using the other nations like chess pieces.

yeah, it was personal :( but np.
will be over it soon, i dare say.

 
At 7:21 pm, October 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thankyou, sp, i respect you for being forthright :) and yes, i think you do...sure, why not?

 
At 7:27 pm, October 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this one?

How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.

I havent seen that movie..so had to look it up :)

i like it. its beautiful...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>